Monday, August 17, 2009

Shameless Self-Promotion

Every good designer needs a decent self-promotion packet. I have been thinking about this lately – and how horribly inept my silly little resume/portfolio PDF is. They fairly represent neither my abilities as a designer nor my personality. After a week or so of brainstorming on the subject, imagining an array of beautifully designed and flawlessly executed brochures it hit me… I am not a formal type of gal. While I take my work very seriously, I move through life with a healthy balance of childish humor and nostalgia. I started a doodle yesterday and, as I sketched and giggled incessantly, it evolved into the masthead for this blog. This morning, as I scanned, cleaned, colorized and got my layout just as I like it, the idea evolved yet again. My self-promotion package should represent myself, not just as an artist willing to express myself in less-than-conventional ways, but as person.... silliness and childlike wonderment intact! I started jotting down a short list of the things I have loved in my life. Silly things, fads and childhood memories I cling to now. I won’t even attempt to deny the fact that I still watch The Dark Crystal and Xanadu on a regular basis. But I digress…

I started doodling my doodles tonight – as doodling has always been a huge part of my creative process and, therefore, belong in any piece representative of me as a designer – putting on paper a few of my favorite things. Drawn in a juvenile manner, roughly sketched and vaguely ill-proportioned, they are designed to invoke feelings of comfort, familiarity and whimsy. These illustrations will eventually make their way into my fun yet serious-enough-to-hire-me self-promotional package. There, goddess willing, they will drum up some fortuitous freelance work and opportunities ripe for creativity!











No comments:

Post a Comment